If you have bought a new tent, then you might have heard from your seller or a friend that you should get a footprint for your tent! Because no matter how much your tent cost, if it is cheap or expensive, a tent footprint will protect your tent’s floor from damage and abrasion.
What is a tent footprint?
You know it protects a tent, but do you actually know what a footprint is? A tent footprint is nothing but a protective piece of fabric or material like a ground-sheet. You have to put it in between your tent and the ground. It is used to protect the tent from abrasion and punctures.
You might have seen that every time you pitch a tent, it’s floor experience abrasion from tiny socks, sand, or twigs, which can also lead to a hole in your tent’s floor by weakening the fabric. So, what a tent footprint does, is that it protects the tent floor from that damage.
A footprint is mostly made of durable polyethylene. Its fabrics may vary. Some of the footprints are also made of nylon, polyester, or oxford cloth.
Tent footprints are available in various sizes and dimensions. It is mainly made by matching it to the specific tent’s floor dimension. A bigger footprint than your tent is not a problem but smaller is. So, while you buy a footprint, make sure it matches your tent’s floor dimension. But slightly smaller than your tent’s base is much better. Because it will make sure water does not go in between the footprint and the tent. The size of a perfect footprint must be 1 to 2 inches smaller than the tent.
The tent footprint comes in various weights, from lightweight to heavy. The thicker your footprint, the heavier it is. It might be heavier but its plus point is it will last longer and provide more protection!
Do you actually need a tent footprint?
The following reasons will answer your question:
- Who does not want to protect their brand new tent from abrasion, cuts, or damages? Do you want it? Then buy a tent footprint!
- Don’t you buy a screen protector or cover for your brand new phone? Then why being so tightwad in case of your tent?
- Tent footprint will increase your tent’s life by saving it from damages
- It will add extra warmth by reducing the amount of heat loss to the ground.
- Your tent might be waterproof, but a footprint will provide an extra layer of waterproofness.
- It will also save you time! How? As the footprint will be the same dimension of your tent, so it will give you an idea of where your tent is going or where to peg.
- So, do your tent get wet and muddy while camping in rainy seasons? With a tent footprint sitting in between your tent and the ground, you will get the dry and clean tent you have always wanted!
- Who does not want the peace of mind, knowing their tent is protected? You? I think I don’t have to say anymore!
GEERTOP 1-4 Person waterproof ultralight footprint. Best for camping, hiking, and picnic.
Things to keep in mind while shopping for a tent footprint:
If you want you can use a footprint in any terrain. The choice is up to you. But for mountains, rough, rocky terrains, a tent footprint is a must. You can avoid the footprint, in soft sand or grassy areas if you want.
Denier is the weight of the thread that is used to make fabric weave. Low denier means less thick. Higher the denier, the thicker the fabric. 30 denier or higher is the thickest. So, it is up to you, how thick you want your footprint to be.
We have said before, higher denier means a thicker footprint, but it also means heavier! If ultralight is your thing, then the lower denier footprint is for you!.
Nowadays most of the tent comes with a footprint. But if yours does not offer any, you can always buy one. Footprints are not much costly, they are from 40 to 100 dollars. And if you are creative and keen, you can also make a DIY footprint! And that’s all for today! Let us know if this article is useful enough for you!