Cooking while camping is problematic and also without cooking, you have to eat cold foods, and that could feel awful. Don’t worry, cooking at camp is not that difficult, if you do it the right way then you can have the best meal ever. Though cooking at camping needs more time, and patience than cooking at the kitchen.
How to cook while camping? Is it boring and complicated? Nope! Cooking at camp is not that complicated or boring! In this article, we have tried to make your cooking at the campsite more fun and easy and tasty! Trust us, it will be now easy to cook at the campsite with the guide in this article.
How to cook properly while camping
1. Plan before going to camping:
Make a plan of what you are going to cook while camping, this will help you decide what gears and food ingredients you will need to pack.
2. Cookwares and cooking supplies:
If you are planning to cook while camping, then you must take all the necessary supplies with you. What you need to take with you depends on your plan of cooking but there is a list of things below which you must not leave behind.
- Box of matches and lighter fluid: These are the first thing you will need to light up the fire.
- Dishes: You can take a medium to a larger lightweight pot, a smaller size pan, aluminum foil.
- A portable grate: to place over the fire pit
- Spatula and tongs
- Stove: There are different types of stoves available in the market, like BioLite camp stove, solo stove, etc.
- Grill: If you want to give your loved one or maybe yourself a treat while camping, then you should definitely keep grills in mind! You can check Weber Q2200 gas grill or Coleman road trip, they both are great.
3. Ingredients for your meals:
Measure the ingredients of each meal before going camping and pack them in ziplock bags and don’t forget to label them accordingly.
4. Tips and tricks:
- You can pre-chop ingredients such as onions, peppers or chili’s, etc., and pack them in ziplock bags.
- You can prepare your soups, stews before and freeze them and keep them in cooler. This way you can reheat them while camping and serve for a quick meal.
- Don’t forget to freeze meat before putting in the cooler. This way it will remain cold for a longer period of time.
- Do you know frozen cans keep other foods cold? So try using frozen can inside the cooler. You can also bring frozen milk jugs or liters of soda bottles with your water or juice, they will keep the cooler cold and you get cold beverages.
- Use block ice as they last longer than cubed ice. Refill your ice often.
- Don’t forget to bring energy-boosting snacks like granola bars, dried fruits, beef jerky, etc. for in between meals.
- Bring convenient or instant food for quick meals.
- Marshmallows may stick together, so you can use a little powdered sugar to the bag to restrain them from sticking. Try buying a brand named one, as they are less likely to stick.
- You can pack pita bread, as they pack better and stays in better shape while camping then regular bread.
- Always keep the food cold to avoid food spoilage and food poisoning.
- Pack all items inside the cooler in watertight bags and containers.
- Cook your eggs in a canning ring, when you are making egg sandwiches using English muffins or bagels.
- While barbecuing your chicken, grill the chicken first then add sauce when it is half cooked, this way sauce won’t get burnt and your meal will be more flavorful.
Matches can get wet if you are camping in the rainy season, so to avoid wet matches, let us give you an idea! Dip the stick matches in wax, and when needed, just scrape off the tip of the match and light up! This way matches will remain dry and also don’t forget to keep the matches in a waterproof container.
The cooler can get a really bad odor, you can wipe it with water and baking soda solution to remove the odor.
Try using a separate cooler for drinks, so you don’t have to open the food cooler frequently.
Try to keep the meal simple:
To have an amazing meal, you don’t need lots of ingredients or gears. Even a simple meal can be delicious. Try to keep your meal simple, like you can try scrambled eggs, toasted cinnamon rolls, potato and egg scrambled, etc.
Find a dedicated cooking area:
Find a shady area where you can cook your meals and eat peacefully. Clean the space. Take a clean table cloth and put it down on the surface. Now take some time and organize your stuff. Prepare your stove and start cooking.
Clean it up:
After having your meal, don’t forget to clean up the surroundings and your stuff. Always carry two dish tubs, one for soaking and another for rinsing, a sponge, scrubber, or dishcloth in your backpack. Clean your cookware and plates well.
Two recipes for you to try at your campsite:
Potato and scrambled egg:
An easy to make breakfast and a great way to start your day.
- 2 dices medium potatoes
- 8 eggs stirred
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter into your pan and put it over the fire. And melt it and spread it around.
- Add potatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and onion and peppers are nicely cooked
- Add another tablespoon of butter and let it melt.
- Add eggs to the butter.
- Cover the pan with a lid or tin foil and let the eggs cooked nicely for 4 minutes
- And done!
At last thanks for reading this article and let us know if it came handy for you. Also, let us know if you have tried our recipe or not!