It always brings a smile in our face seeing our young ones, running after cute butterflies and smelling wildflowers. Camping helps us bond with our family and friends over enjoying our favorite dishes and gossiping in the afternoon under a tarp or sunshade! But for a novice camper, it can hard to decide where to start from, how to plan everything including selecting campsite, meals, safety measures, etc.! So, what should you do? If you are reading this article, then let us assume that you are doing a lot of researches and we would recommend you read this article from top to bottom if you don’t want to miss some supper suggestions about camping gears that you won’t get anywhere else!
In this article, we have listed all the necessary and secret tips, including suitable and productive gears that can make your family camping more exciting, adventurous, and significant along with enjoying every essence of nature.
Family Camping Tips
Choosing the appropriate campsite:
- If you are a beginner in family camping, then choose a campsite known to you and near your house.
- Get all the paper works ready if required.
Make a list of all the gears you will need and organize them carefully. Below is a list of all the gears and equipment you should carry with you:
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Tarp or sunshade
- Camping chair table (optional)
- Camping rug
- Hammock (optional)
- Lantern, headlight or flashlight
- Stove and fuel
- Firewood (if allowed by your campsite)
- Waterproof matches or lighter
- Repairing kits
- Broom and dustpan
- Sponge and scrubber
- Trash bag or bins
- Lip balm
- Bug spray or insect repellant
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid kit
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Comb and mirror
- Portable shower
- Extra clothes and food
- GPS and Compass
- ID and driving license
- Games and entertainment stuff like games.
Get a family-sized tent for shelter at the campsite. You can also get an individual tent for every person but getting a family-sized tent can help you spend more valuable time with your family.
You can check our cabin tents article. It offers 5 best cabin tents including Coleman Elite Montana, Kodiak Canvas flex-blow deluxe 8p, Ozark Trail family cabin tent, etc.
Canvas tents are also good for family camping. To get the review on 10 best canvas tents, you can read our article on the best canvas tents.
- Pack clothes according to the weather you are camping in.
- Take extra clothes as much as you can.
- Be careful about the rain, because rain can surprise you anytime! So, pack extra rainwear for all the family members.
- Always take extra food as much as possible.
- Bring food items by preparing at home, like chopping veggies, premade pancake dough, etc. it makes cooking much easier and fun.
- Pack all the food like butter, eggs, milk, etc in the cooler.
- Bring a stove for camping.
- You can also bring a portable grill you if you want. Family gathering without the grill might seem incomplete.
- Don’t forget your pots, bowls, cutlery, because you won’t get them at the campsite!
- For sudden injuries, cuts, bug or insect bites, we recommend you to keep a safety kit with yourself.
- Get bug spray, or sunscreen, first aid kits, and cold meds and keep them somewhere near.
Health and hygiene:
Maintaining health and hygiene while camping is also necessary. Take all the stuff needed to maintain good health like toothpaste, toothbrush, portable shower, toiletries, towel, etc.
- Play games with your kids. You can solve a puzzle together.
- Grown-ups can play card games.
- You can also do sightseeing, bird lookout.
- Much better if you can get a field guide for wild plants, flowers, or birds.
- Decorate your tent with LED light straps, it will boost your mood and give you a different feel.
Your kid’s favorite toys:
- If you are camping with kids, take some toys. You can carry your kid’s favorite toy or ask them which one they want for camping.
Keep the campsite clean:
- Get large garbage bags and trash bags for keeping your trash.
- Don’t through away your garbages at the campsite or in campsite bushes.
- Respect nature and keep the campsite clean for others!
Make sure to do a quick check of your checklist before leaving for the camping. And we wish you a happy adventure!